Ralph and I were heading out the door and as usual my husband picked up his wallet and put two quarters in his pocket.
I don’t know why today I decided to ask…
“Honey, why do you always put two quarters in your pocket?” He just stood there for a minute with a puzzled look on his face, then replied “My Mom always told me to in case I was in trouble and needed to call home.”
Laughing we realized we didn’t even know how much it cost to use a pay phone and if we needed one… could we find one in a hurry?
We both paused, each in our own world with a distant look and a smile on our face, thinking about our Moms.
Of course, Ralph couldn’t resist… “What did your Mom always say?”
At first, all I could think about was my Grandmother who told me always to put on clean underwear in case I was in an accident. Even as I kid I found that pretty silly.
Well that started it… back and forth, till we were almost crying with laughter.
Some of our favorite Mom-isms!
- Do you want me to call your Dad?
- Turn off the lights, do you think we live in a barn!
- Don’t make me stop this car!
- If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you?
- Eat your vegetables, there are starving kids in China.
- Put that down, you don’t know where it’s been!
- Kathleen Ann… if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times…
I’m going to finish this last Mom-ism.
Kathleen Ann… if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times how much I Love You.
That’s what I remember most.
Happy Mother’s Day, Kathy